Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) – 26.7 acre Campus
The Facilities Modernization Project & Construction Management of New Construction
Facilities and Infrastructure Design, Facilities and Infrastructure Acquisition, Construction, and Configuration Management
SandHurst-AEC acted as the client’s project manager for the Facility modernization program at the Chevy Chase Campus.
Assisted with developing the organization’s program for Campus modernization. The project included the modernization of office spaces, the sixty seven-room hotel & conference center on the campus, commercial kitchen & dining facilities.
Approach and Results:
- SandHurst-AEC gathering extensive component data including existing conditions, analyzing the quality and energy performance of buildings, analyzing site infrastructure, and make recommendations based on real time data for long term strategic planning, budgeting, new construction or abandonment, or renovation.
- SandHurst-AEC ensured that clear communication occurred between staff and, contractors and the institution’ executive management.
- Our reviews were based on but not limited to; what is the existing physical and functional condition of the facilities, what investments are required and how should the investments be prioritized. Are the older facilities code and energy compliant?
- SandHurst-AEC ensured the team was on task, schedule and scope of work aligned with the budget.
- SandHurst-AEC worked in partnership other consultants, participating in space verification studies during the design phase providing budget advice, bid phase, selection of contractor and the construction and close-out of the projects.
- SandHurst-AEC worked with the facility engineering team on building component and systems surveys to verify the existing conditions to ensure the existing plans and new design documents were aligned with the current existing conditions in order to provide accurate costs and asbuilt conditions.
- SandHurst-AEC conducted several value management studies and cost scenarios to help align the ongoing modernization effort with the program budget.
- Assisted with developing technical or management reports and decision support documents such as facility assessments, project briefings, schedules, planning charrettes.
- The above scenarios helped with the following: better reporting and forecasting of costs and better change order reviews for the client. The team was able to provide better production reviews, validations, and quick approvals on changes due to code conformance and kept pace with the programs critical path schedule.